Dealing with failure

It's unfortunate, but failure happens, it is the most reliable thing in music life.
As some of you may know, a few months ago I announced that I was on the Grammy ballot, competing for a nomination in several categories. NOVELLA is one of the best work I've done thus far in my musical life, and I had high hopes of getting nominated at least in one of the obscure categories. Unfortunately I got nothing.

I won't lie, I was sad, still am a bit. But most of all I was disappointed,  and started doubting my self, and that's where the danger comes. It starts you on a weird path, it did to me. I started doubting myself, doubting my goal & dreams, and that is never good.

Luckily, I had a few performances back to back, including the day in which I failed in one of the major milestones I wanted to accomplish.  People will remind you that many successful things that we love, and are successful,  have been rejected in the past.
Harry Potter was rejected by 12 publishers,  Dune by 22 publishers,  even U2 & Lenny Kravitz were rejected at one time, can you believe it?

Its not easy keeping the positive mind-set,  I'm a trouble shooter, so I'm always searching for "What was wrong? What do I need to fix? What did I do wrong?" And its frustrating when there is no answer. I've been getting nothing by favorable and kind comments on the album, so it only makes my troubleshooting side go nuts.
I am hard on myself at times, which is a gift and a curse. When I don't meet and exceed my goal, I always feel like I didn't do enough to make it happen, then I get disappointed in myself, which leads me to that weird path of doubting everything. And that cycle can go on forever, if you let it.

One thing that is really helping me get through this, is my involvement in a variety show, which allows me to perform in front of a live audience,  and that always lifts my spirits.
And the other thing helping me, is goatFISH, the duo I have with my musical partner Sahffi Lynne. We are working on new songs, shooting videos for an upcoming "Internet Show", and that helps keep my creativity alive and flowing, which is the best remedy in situations like this.

As a creative person, being creative provides me with joy, and helps me with healing/dealing with failure situations.  Also never underestimate having kind and positive people around you, they are infectious, and essential.

So the lesson I learned is, when failure happens. I take 24/48 hours to grief,  while writing in my journal, its a safe and healthy way to express my emotions and to get it out of my system.
I make sure I be creative, to me its performance,  its a great reminder and a beautiful rush.
And I make sure I surround my self with positive people.
How do you deal with failure?
I hope this post was helpful to you, and I wish you all success in your endeavors.
The show WILL go on :)

Shukran, Thank You & Much Love.
Mosno Al-Moseeki

You may follow me if you like on
 Instagram: @mosno_music
& Twitter: @mosno_music

You can also listen to the entire album "NOVELLA: A Love Letter To Culture Clash" for free at my site: www.mosno.net